Sunday, April 18, 2010

Iannuzzo explains Valencia incident

Wednesday, 14 April 2010 15:49

PrintE-mail

Vittorio IannuzzoSquadra Corse Italia's Vittorio Iannuzzo has been explaining the details of the horrific-looking incident in which he was involved, together with Simon Andrews, on the pit straight on lap 3 of the second race at Valencia. The British rider was forced against the pit-wall and then pushed down onto the grass by his bike, causing havoc amidst the team signalling boards on the wall.


‘Andrews suddenly slowed at 290 km/h and I couldn't do anything to avoid the impact,' said the Italian. ‘His left foot-peg split open my oil cooler, I took a hefty blow on my ribs and my hands but I managed to keep control of my Honda and stop on the grass almost at the end of the straight.'


Back in 2008 at Phillip Island Iannuzzo slammed into Michel Fabrizio's Ducati, which was stalled on the starting grid, and suffered several fractured bones in his other hand that kept him out of racing for six months. This time he only suffered bruising to his hands, while Andrews came away from Valencia with a broken heel and a fractured bone in his left foot.